Tuesday, March 7, 2017

My Kids Come Home For Lunch

My kids come home for lunch. Who gets that? Well, me I guess. I used to do that when I was a kid, and I loved it. Back home to see mommy, get some yummy grilled cheese sandwiches, some carrots, and a hug and a kiss, and back to school. Oh, those were the days.

Now, as a single mom with shared custody of my two wonderful sons, I am able, for now anyway, to have them come home for lunch. My sons are 10 and 12, and they went through a lot of heart break when their dad and I split up. The marriage ended, then didn't, then ended officially three years ago. That's tough stuff. But now it's better than ever. I know that sounds like a cliche, but really, it's really really good.

Oh I cried for two year for sure. And so did my kids. But now we are definitely on the other side- climbing up and out of the pit of despair, onto the plateau of being friends with your ex, and heading towards the mountain of this is the best thing that could have happened.

I saw a fellow parent at the drug store the other day, and she was all like "Oh, how's life? I bet it's tough." And I wanted to pour cold water over her head and say "Wake up. Divorce is not a bad thing." I then stood there and listed off the things that are so good now. I get to be myself. There isn't tension in the house. The kids get to know their real mom, and not some compromised version of what a mother is supposed to be like. When the kids are with their dad, I get my career focused work done, and when the kids are with me, it's that much more quality time.
I get to kiss their heads, and give them lots of hugs, when they come home for lunch. Who gets that?


No comments:

Post a Comment